Saturday, April 9, 2011

Opera Atelier's Versailles Gala 2011

Opera Atelier Versailles Gala Fashion Show
Photo by Ingrid Mida 2011
I am a huge fan of Opera Atelier. Their productions of 18th century operas are unlike any other I've ever seen, combining the best of opera and ballet with costumes and sets that are both beautiful and true to the period.

This past week, Opera Atelier celebrated their 25th anniversary with a Versailles Gala. Having donated one of my photographs from my All is Vanity series in which I am wearing a gown from an Opera Atelier production of The Coronation of Poppea, I was thrilled to be part of this event. And what made it even more special for me was my seating placement beside Opera Atelier's ever-so-talented costume and set designer Gerard Gauci. (Gerard also happens to be an incredible artist who is known for his exquisitely beautiful oil paintings of rooms from great palaces and homes. He is represented by Leo Kamen Gallery and Galerie de Bellefeuille). 


As you might imagine, the event was an elegant affair from beginning to end. The evening began with a fashion show featuring some of the costumes from the Opera Atelier archive. With only a tiny point and shoot camera tucked into my evening bag, my photo taking ability was limited, but I think these out-takes convey the regal deportment of the dancers who were in the show.
Opera Atelier Versailles Gala Fashion Show
Photo by Ingrid Mida 2011
Another highlight was a performance by Canadian operatic superstar Measha Brueggergosman who sang a selection from her upcoming role in Opera Atelier's La Clemenza di Tito by Mozart. Although I was enchanted by her glorious voice, I have to say I also was impressed by her choice of gown. Brueggergosman wore this black ruched dress with aplomb, conveying the confidence of a woman that knows she is beautiful and talented.
Measha Brueggergosman at the Opera Atelier Versailles Gala
Photo by Ingrid Mida 2011
In case you are wondering what I wore to this event, I chose a black lace top and long black skirt with a train by Canadian designer David Finley. And no I don't have any photos of myself.

Opera Atelier's production of La Clemenza di Tito by Mozart begins on Friday, April 22 and runs through to May 1, 2011. Tickets can be purchased at Ticketmaster or at the Elgin Theatre box office.