Friday, September 3, 2010

The Reader

The Reader by Fragonard

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.
                                                          Chinese Proverb



I love books almost as much as I love art. These two passions consume my time and my money. I am never without a book on my bedside table; in fact, there is a stack of books several feet high on the floor, all waiting to be read. There is bad weather in the forecast for this weekend and you can be sure that I'll have my nose in a book, and it won't be an e-book. I love the feel and smell of books. They have been my constant friend and companion. I have many favourites but some that have left a lingering essence in my psyche include: The Bell Jar, Anna Karenina, Little Women, Charlotte's Web, Heidi, The Fountainhead, Mrs. Dalloway, Emma, Tess of the Duberville....

What are you reading? Do you have any favourites to share with me?