Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Beautiful Libraries

My mother was a librarian and often insisted on visiting libraries when we went on holiday. I never appreciated her interest. And yet, now that she is old and frail and cannot travel anymore, I find myself drawn to libraries so that I can tell her about them when I get home.


The Athenaeum Music and Arts Library in La Jolla, California was built and furnished in 1921 by the efforts of Helen Browning Scripps. Antheneum is a Greek term for place of learning , culture and discourse associated with Athena, the goddess of wisdom and the arts.

This non-profit membership library (one of only 16 in the USA) is devoted to music and the arts and has a collection of books and other media such as DVDs. Concerts and art classes are also offered.

This has to be one of the prettiest libraries I've ever seen. Don't you agree?

Anthenaeum Music and Arts Library
100 Wall Street
La Jolla, California 92037
858-454-5872
www.ljathenaeum.org/home.html