Monday, March 9, 2009

Barbie's 50th Birthday!!!

Today is Barbie's 50th birthday! Happy Birthday Barbie!

I'm not ashamed of being a Barbie fan. I have many fond memories of playing with Barbie, and making her clothes. I longed to own a store-bought Barbie outfit, especially a beautiful emerald green gown with a strapless bodice and a poufy skirt made of tulle that my best friend owned. Years later, when I went to the toy museum in Prague, I chuckled when I saw that same emerald green gown on display.

It is astounding how many fashion designers have cited Barbie as their first muse, client, inspiration. During the recent New York fashion week, Barbie was celebrated with a line-up including Anna Sui, Diane von Furstenberg, Michael Kors, Marchesa, Tory Burch and Tommy Hilfinger. Christian Louboutin designed a pair of peep-toe hot pink pumps in honour of her birthday.

Even the revered Karl Lagerfeld has created an exhibition using Barbie as his muse at the Collette stores in Paris (213 Rue Saint-Honore, Paris, 75001). This exhibition called "Barbie and Ken by Karl Lagerfeld" will be on display from March 9 to 28th.